6.28.2011

Deep-Fryer: Out of Order

So last week I tried using the deep fryer at my test kitchen.  Turns out the deep fryer is not in working order.  I tried to go the old-school way and fry in a pot on top of the stove.  It went okay, but not to my exact requirements.  It was too difficult to maintain a precise temp which is crucial for deep-frying.  I did test out my recipe for salt and pepper calamari.  And I near perfected the flavor for my Ale Battered Fish 'n Chips with Malt Vinegar Tartar Sauce, but I was not pleased with the texture of the chips and the dish's overall presentation.

As a kid, I always wondered why my fish 'n "chips" came with fries.  I decided to actually serve this with potato "chips."  This is my nostalgic take on a dish I loved as a child.


I will have to resume my deep-fried recipes after I get a deep-fryer that is working properly.  In the meantime, I will be working on some dishes for our 4th of July barbecue: Roast Pork with Mojo Onions, Jamaican Jerk Chicken, and Currywurst.

3 comments:

  1. Dang! That looks friggin' good!! Those chips look pretty legit! :P And one of fishes look like a hogg with no legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! the bottom one huh? hey danny, how's it going man? thanks for checking out the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn...that looks good!

    ReplyDelete